The City of Plattsburgh Department of Public Works in its endeavor to maintain a quality of life for the citizens of the city is responsible for the following:
- Water Distribution System: 126 Miles of pipeline which include transmission mains,distribution mains and service lines. Age of pipelines range from 1867 to present. The pipe system is comprised of pit cast (lead joint) cast iron (mechanical joint) ductileiron ( mechanical and push on joint) and A-C pipe (push on joint). Also included is the maintenance of 525 fire hydrants and 4984 water meters.
- Sanitary Sewer System: 58 Miles of pipeline comprises the city wide sewer system, including 1609 sanitary manholes. Age of sewer mains ranger from 1894 to present. The pipe system is comprised of clay tile pipe (vct) reinforced concrete pipe (rcp) plastic pipe (sdr) and cast iron pipe (ci) and a-c pipe and 11 combined sewer overflow points (cso).
- Storm Sewer System: 36 miles of pipline comprises the city wide collection system including 520 manholes and 1877 catch basins. The pipe system is comprised of reinforced concrete pipe (rcp) cast iron pipe (ci) plastic pipe (sdr) and a-c pipe.
- Roadway System: 60 miles of streets and 67 miles of sidewalk including 10,000 street signs which are maintained. Also the salt – sanding and snow removal of streets including patching and replacement of broken down pavement and sidewalks.
- Refuse Service: Garbage and Recycling - 2500 customers, which includes weekly and bi-weekly collections. NOTICE OF ELECTRONICS DISPOSAL BANS
- Beautification: 166 acres of parks and city owned grass areas to maintain.
- Staffing: 40 full time employees which comprise of 3 Crew Supervisors, 12 Public Works Maintenance II,1 Motor Equipment Operator III, 6 Public Works Maintenance I, 2 Motor Equipment Operators, 2 Meter Maintainers, 2 Mechanics, 2 Typists, 1 Street Maintenance Man, 6 Laborers, 1 Draftsperson,1 Groundskeeper and 1 Superintendent.
- Vehicles and Equipment: The Public Works fleet consists of 69 vehicles which include pickups, vans, flatbeds, dumps, sweepers, loaders, backhoes, a dozer, recycling and garbage trucks and another 20 support vehicles (trailers, rollers, etc.)
- Buildings and Grounds: Public Works maintains the buildings and grounds at 215 Idaho Ave. a warehouse at South Platt St. The building and grounds at 179 Idaho Ave. (former Curtis Door Bldg) and the landfill site on Rugar St. (NORCO)
- Special Projects: Public Works actively supports the following programs: Mayor’s Cup, 4th of July Celebration, Battle of Plattsburgh, (4) F.L.W. fishing tournaments, Farmers Market, Information Booth and numerous requests from various departments ( air conditioners and some building maintenance issues)
Office Hours and Location
Vehicle Maintenance Facility (new base)
Monday through Friday
7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. ( Summer Hours April to Oct)
8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. ( Winter Hours Nov to Mar)
Arsene M. Brodi, Superintendent of D.P.W.
Office Tel: 563-1120 or 563-6841
Office Fax: 562-1128
Brenda Rabideau, Typist
Cynthia Vallieres, Typist
Tim Sondrini, Maintenance Supervisor
Mike Fisher, Crew Supervisor
James Welch, Crew Supervisor
CITY PARKING BAN REMINDER!! NOVEMBER 1ST UNTIL MARCH 31ST.
WHEN THE LIGHTS ARE ON THE CARS ARE GONE! Please remember the City of Plattsburgh has a parking ban from November 1st until March 31st. All vehicles must be off the road when the lights are flashing or the vehicle WILL be towed.
REMINDER: Please check your cellar for open windows and make sure the heat is on to prevent water pipes from freezing. Please click here for cold weather preventative action to guard against pipes freezing.